Skip to main content

Wake Up Call

Today was a day of many different realizations.

I realized that the way that I have been living my life reflected the mindset that I was the owner and ruler of my life; that everything that I possessed, I had the right to use as I please...and I forgot that I was only a possessor, not an owner, of everything that I had. The time that I had each day, the money that was in my possession, even the very opportunity that I have to go to seminary, all of that was given by God to be used for God. It disturbed me how easily I had forgotten something so fundamental in life.

My other realization was that I had been able to so easily forget that everything I had was from God and for God because I had lost sight of the bigger picture in my life. In my apathy and my lethargy, my unwillingness to do anything had caused my eyes to lose sight of God's heart and passion and for my mind to forget the work of God in my life these past few months through STEM and post-missions debriefing. With just a few days shy of starting my first year at Talbot, I faced the ugly but necessary truth that I had forgotten the missions flame that had given me such a passion for Japan, given me the conviction to go to seminary, and ultimately, glorify God through long-term missions work.

I am reminded of the short-sightedness of the Israelites and how I used to have such a critical and judgmental heart towards them. I never knew how they were able to forgot such awesome works of God in a matter of moments. It is for this reason I believe they were admonished time and time again to remember the works of God in their lives on a daily basis. I want to be at that place where a passion, an unceasing hunger, drives me in every single facet of my life; to realize with a desperate sense of urgency that time is precious, and that I must make every moment count. If I say I want to live for Him, how can I live any other way?

I'm glad that God slapped me around a few times today. I remembered why I am going to school, why I serve at church, and where I will be going from here.

"Remember all the commands of the LORD, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by going after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes."
(Numbers 15:39)

Comments

Calvin said…
I FOUND YOU.

and aren't day of realizations just the greatest? after they have been realized of course.
just like the israelites...wat a bunch of foolish mortals...until you realize we're even more foolish...
*sigh...

PTL

Popular posts from this blog

School of Theology

So ends my first full day of classes. Including the classes from Thursday, I've officially been to every single of the classes that I will be taking this year. I come home from a 11-hour school day tired, drained, and with a headache that I suspect will grow throughout the semester. Having collected all of the syllabi for my classes, I see my list of assignments, projects, and readings, slowly stacking up into a massive and intimidating mountain. The only way I can accurately describe the feelings that I am going through right now would be to relate it to being on the initial climb up of a steep roller coaster hill. I'm going up and up and the certainty of the drop ahead of me makes me both nauseous and terrified. Feelings such as "I want out" and "What did I get myself into?" come to mind over and over again. Yet the knowledge of the thrill of the ride and the joy and laughter waiting at the end keep me from jumping ship. In a similar fashion, I both antici...

Out from the Ashes

Hoo boy... After much thought and consideration, I have decided to reopen this blogspot. It's something that I've been using since the start of college, but it was only a spot to vent and pour out frustrations and regrets. Looking at the end of college and the start of the next chapter of my life, I want to use this blog for something bigger, something more. And so that when I look back on this part of my life, I will have something to remember it by. ただいま.